Thursday, June 2, 2011

Norma Jeane ~ 85 Years Old b. 6/1/26



Norma Jeane, aka Marilyn Monroe,
would have been 85 years old June 1.


A life cut short,
at such a young age of 36.


I was almost 5
but I remember her death
being an "event".


My own mother was just 43.

I remember asking my mom, 
"who is Marilyn Monroe?"


 I don't remember her answer.


As I have learned more about "Norma Jeane's" early life, 
and of her mother,
her mother's mental illnesses,

and the many foster homes she lived in,


I am amazed she became the woman she became.

She dreamed of a better life when she was young,
and she did what she had to do to cope
with everyday LIFE. 


 Today, someone at work asked me why I like her, 
as he turned his nose up in disdain.


I'm not quite sure.
~
I can't say I have watched an entire film 
with her in it,
can't remember anything she sang except
for the famous Happy Birthday
to JFK.
(Apparently my mom was not a big fan.)

I'm not sure why I like her.


I just know that she made something of herself,
in spite of her unhappy and unstable childhood.

Her image was then, and remains
Sexy and glamorous 

She was not model thin,
she had curves,
and seemed to be a natural beauty
(yes, I know her blonde hair was not natural).



Photoshop wasn't around back then.
Airbrushing hadn't been invented yet.
She may have had plastic surgery.
I don't know.
She just seemed to be a nice person
doing the best she could
with what she knew.


She seemed like she was comfortable 
in her own skin.


The pressures for girls these days


has to be unbearable.

Young girls really need strong parents
to love them,
support them,
build their self esteem,
(you know someone is waiting
in the wings to tear them down)
and keep them on the right track.

I think Norma Jeane would agree.

Ahhh, to go back to simpler times
when peer pressures,
magazines,
television,
didn't make it all so difficult.


It all makes me grateful for 
my parents
and family life,
and I will repeat what I have always said,
I had the BEST childhood.


I salute you today

Norma Jeane.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this post and think it was really neat. She was a beautiful lady and seemed to have a strength about her that probably came from living through a lot of tough times.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete