Saturday, January 14, 2012

Slow Cooker Sausage and Vegetable Medley

Ok folks, this has turned into one of our favorite meals,
and it is especially good on those cold, snowy days.
It is called Slow Cooker Sausage and Vegetable Medley.


I chop up all the vegetables the night before and throw it all in the crockpot the next day.  
Well actually, I don't have a Crock Pot brand.  Mine is a Slow Cooker...I think by Rival.



And when we get home from a stressful day of work.

Whalla!  Done!
(I know what you are thinking........I really need to stage my pictures better.  I agree with you!)

But I do want to warn you.  I think the newer slow cookers cook hotter, so leaving for work at 6:30 and not getting home until 5:00 without stirring, ON LOW, results in this.
Not pretty, and not tasty either.
So, I have to make a pit stop home during lunch ~
either to stir the pot and turn it down to the "warm" setting if I have started it before work, or I throw everything in the crockpot at lunch and turn the setting to high.  Neither option is efficient.

In the meantime, I have put on my list to hunt down old crock pots at garage sales or estate sales.   

Here is the source for the recipe that can be found here

Slow Cooker Sausage & Vegetable Medley
 from Pinterest
A Year of Slow Cooking

--5-6 chicken or turkey sausage links.
I used 3 Itallian Seasoned Chicken & Turkey Sausage
and 2 Chipotle Spiced Chicken Sausages—
both varieties were from Trader Joe's
--1/2 package of mushrooms
--potatoes 1-2 medium brown ones or equivalent.

--few stalks of celery
--some baby carrots
--some brocolli
--some cauliflower
(the amount of veggies really doesn't matter---
t's completely up to you. If you have onion and
bell pepper, use them. Sweet potato, eggplant,
zuchinni, whatever; it's all good)
--2 cups chicken broth
--1/3 cup white wine (not necessarily necessary)

The Directions:

--cut all veggies into 2-inch chunks
--layer into crockpot, most to least dense
--add sliced sausage
--add broth and wine
--cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.
--right before serving, add a handful of fresh spinach and
 cover for 10 minutes to wilt leaves
(I forgot.)

Delicious. And terribly easy--no spices are needed due to
the flavorful sausage.

I have used straight Italian sausage, and I have used a combination of the different sausages as stated in the recipe and we definitely like the different seasoned sausages better.  It adds a little more bite to the dish.  I have yet to use the spinach, or add the wine. 


Not a bad dish, and if you limit your intake on the sausage, calories are probably pretty low too, AND this is from a girl who prefers not to have sausage on her pizza.


Stay warm.  That snowy ground looks frigid out there this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Connie, I thought I was the only one who was burning stuff in the crock pot! I've almost given up on cooking stuff while I'm away, which is the entire point! Luckily, believe it or not, I can bring it to work, set it in the boss's kitchen and go in every coupla hours and check on the stuff burning!
    I found you on Pinterest! A friend just showed me how and Lord! I've been on it for 24 hours straight I feel!

    ReplyDelete