Sunday, May 1, 2011

Backside of Oregon


Finally.........a weekend of sun two days in a row............
very windy..........but sunny......YES!
The 70% chance of rain predicted yesterday
(which forced me to mow lawn Friday night after work)
did not come.

I think a road trip down Rt. 2 might be nice.  
Wonderful winding two lane road along the Rock River has always been a pleasant trip.
Too bad the state is forcing the road to be widened.
That means one thing.......you go into the river to take the land,
or you go into the steep limestone filled with trees on the other side.
Either way, the Rt. 2 we used to know will be no more.

I'm always reminded of my commute in the 90's
 when I drove this highway for nearly 4 years to work.
Road construction on Rt. 2 would force me to take the backside of Oregon, 
or the other side of the river,
probably not the official term, but my farmer talk ........
I would start to climb this large hill and just beyond,
 would be a valley with a little farmette,
and this little treasure nestled in the trees.
Who would have thought this would look so quaint? 
So I parked one day to get a better shot.
Once in the day, this car probably drove on Rt. 2,
probably first dates happened in this car.
Perhaps it is a family heirloom to the people that live here.  
So many questions to ponder.
But I love this old car and how they staged it so nicely in their yard.




 Just beyond this farmette is Lowden State Park, Oregon, IL 
(again, the backside of Oregon). 
 This proud 48' cement statue of Black Hawk The Eternal Indian 
stands 125' above the Rock River, built in the early 1900's. 
 You can't miss his presence each time you drive by.   



 Here is the view from Rt. 2.
  They had a large area where you can park and take pictures 
however, that has been made smaller due to the widening of the road.
Black Hawk ~ thanks for looking over us all these years.
 

3 comments:

  1. That statue is gorgeous. What a beautiful road trip that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing a photo search for Lowden State Park, I found your blog! I continued to read and discovered the NaDa farm, which I cannot for the life of me, figure out where it is because I WORK in ESMOND and have never seen anything as fabulous as what you have posted, here, in your blog!? I have never even seen the barn that is in your post! I work on South Esmond Road, so not right on Woodlawn, but I cannot imagine such a secret place existing back there!?
    I live west of Rochelle, but we are new here, only moving to the area 4 yrs ago.
    I am off to check out more of your blog and learn more about the area! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sissy - So glad you found my blog mentioning Lowden Park. I will have to check yours out when I get a bit more time, but I did become a follower. Definitely interested in hearing your stories on the Japanese Beetle. They are wrecking havoc on so many of my plants and trees, and can you believe the marigolds too? Na-Da Farm is between Rt. 64 & 38, east side of the road. Anne Marie has two shows at her farm, spring & fall with vendors who bring in fabulous stuff you don't find anywhere else. She has a blog as well so you can check her out by looking at my blog list if you haven't already. I think she has already posted her fall dates so you won't want to miss it since you live so close. Thanks for stopping by and I will be visiting you soon.
    Connie (akalou)

    ReplyDelete