Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Pec Thing


A cold and rainy dreary day,
but in spite of the weather,
we journeyed an hour straight north and a little bit west,
for an event that happens in the spring & fall,
The Pec Thing.  
It is hosted at the Winnebago County (IL) fairgrounds, 
thus the sign.
This is my old stomping grounds.
We used to show registered holsteins here 
and it was my favorite place to be every summer.
~ Imagine ~
looking at antiques in the cow barns 
There were dealers as soon as you walked through the gates.
Immediately I was drawn to these shutters.
Then a huge booth of furniture painted in a variety of colors
Close up of a few
Love this white one
Have never been a huge fan of yellow, but this piece was awesome,
and I just saw some inspiration rooms where yellow was used and was very pretty.

I know my cousin Renelle would love this.  Yellow is her favorite color.

Then I started pulling out the drawers (dove tail joints of course)
 and opening up the doors.
Something was very wrong.

They opened up with ease.
So my husband started talking to the gentleman 
and learned that these pieces were "new" made out of all old pieces.
Are they considered reproductions?
Not sure, but we moved on.

For whatever reason, I gravitate to garden art,
and these great pieces would look wonderful in my yard amongst all my hostas.
An angel on top was an added bonus.
I should have bought this for the neighbor dog,
a little white yipper that constantly comes over,
 barking at our outdoor cat which sends him running to the garage.
~ Annoying ~
But this made me laugh.
Birdhouses ~  
More garden art
 
These intrigued me, 
of course, 
the husband hated them so he was totally out of sight.
(That is his way of saying No)
These pieces were also 6-8' tall
and no way would fit in our Prius.
(What was I thinking that we didn't bring the truck?) 


I have always wanted one of these pretty screen doors 
to prop up against a wall in my house.
Really?  $75?  Yikes.
Old padlocks
Very pretty color.
The people with this booth were not dealers ~
they were just down sizing from their victorian house
 and had extra furniture to get rid of.
 
Love this old radio cabinet in the same booth ~
AND the radio works!
Pottery Barn offers a reproduction of this cabinet,
but this is the real deal from Hamilton Manufacturing.
Ooops, looks like the last two drawers "don't belong".
Do you think this would look good painted white? 
A good comfy chair sounds good about now.
I can't tell you the last time I came to the Pec Thing,
but this event has gotten huge!
Even windy and rainy, there were huge crowds,
and people were apparently buying
 because each dealer said they were doing fantastic!
Because of the gloomy day, my camera battery started to die,
but not before I snapped the area where 
our cows used to stay every year,
right next to the show ring.
Wonderful memories
 (and maybe having many boys around didn't hurt either)
Showing the treasures I bought
at the Pec Thing
 will have to wait for another day.




1 comment:

  1. I personally love that chair..and yes, that dresser would look great painted white or even a light gray??

    so excited for Friday! see you then:)

    ReplyDelete