I've known Cindy since 1988.
We were both taking a history class through our local college.
Part of the requirement was to travel to Europe for 3 weeks.
I don't remember her in class
therefore,
I always say that we met in London.
It was pouring down rain and everyone was standing out in it
to watch the changing of the guard.
I went back to the bus.
No more rain for me, thank you.
Cindy had the same idea,
and we have been friends ever since.
I remember when we came home,
she used to drag me to all the thrift stores in town,
and I mean draaaag.
Even when we were in Europe,
she was sporting a green plaid raincoat that she proudly
stated was purchased at a thrift store for mere pennies.
(OMG - I have a picture - green plaid on left,
me on right)
Every time I saw her,
she would have the cutest outfit on,
and she would proudly tell me what thrift store she found it,
and how much.
She was very talented in the great finds
and putting it all together.
She kept trying to make a believer out of me,
and I kept digging in my heels.
Fast forward 23 years ~
my how things have changed.
Now I WISH I would have paid more attention back then.
Do you realize the treasures I might have accumulated?
She now lives in the south with her husband,
raising two children to say "yes maam"
and coming back north every Christmas to see her parents.
So of course, when she called
and said she was in town,
"do you want to go to some thrift stores with my mom and I?",
I jumped at the chance.
We went to one of her favorite places
in her hometown.
The Hope Chest,
which helps support the domestic violence program for Ogle County.
You can see a 35 sec You Tube video here
Lots of really good stuff.
She found some amazing buys for her entire family.
One was a super cute Abercrombie ribbed shirt for her teenage son,
and several cami's for her daughter.
They loved them!
She has been doing this all of her life,
it's a thrill to find amazing stuff at amazing prices,
and she is teaching her children to recycle and reuse.
We had a great day,
and I always enjoy spending time with her
and her family.
Her mom always has an amazing tree with different decorations each year,
and coordinated wrapping paper.
She shops for all of her decor for the next Christmas
the day after Christmas for the best prices.
This was her main tree after presents.
Here is the "kids" tree.
One year at the height of popularity of Beanie Babies,
this was filled with just the bears.
It was so cute.
And the window treatment?
She made it.
That Roman Shade is phenomenal.
Cindy has a very talented mother as well.
And we are both Lou's.
How cute is that?
| Connie Lou on left and Cindy Lou on right |
So glad we are friends.

Ha! How awesome. I do not have the knack for fishing treasures out of places like the hope Chest, (I know exactly where that is, ya know!)
ReplyDeleteIsn't the hope chest the one where the proceeds go towards the victims of domestic abuse?
Our company once donated 14 garbage bags of clean unused tshirts that were discontinued and we couldn't get any more and they told us they helped battered women...
I have a Lou, too! My daughter is a LOU!
What a sweet story about your friend. I bet you have brought a lot of things to her life as she has to yours.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely friendship... I loved reading about it! Hard to find these day.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by!
Wishing you a most joyous New Year.
Blessings
Rebecca
PS Yes that little critter is real, but it is a Ferret and she loves him :)