This is my cousin Bobi's recipe box,
from her mom,
and my Aunt Doris.
Bobi lives in Texas
(notice the beautiful Blue Bonnets)
and I live in Illinois.
We don't see much of each other,
so we are thankful for Facebook.
It keeps us connected.
As she was going through her mother's recipe box recently,
she came across several that came from my mother.
For those who still have their mothers,
you may not realize how precious something as simple as a recipe box,
with cards inside
containing your own mother's hand writing
.......is.
They are cherished beyond belief.
I remember seeing a blogging post from Amy from
All Things Home
using her grandmother's recipe cards,
and stringing them up as part of her decor.
Who would have thought of such an idea,
but it was brilliant!
I shared it with Bobi, and unlike me,
she doesn't procrastinate.
Here is what she did with her kitchen window above the sink.
I think it looks fabulous, and definitely made me smile.
Adding the blue bows dressed them up.
I love how time has faded each card a different color.
Bobi has great memories
of coming home from school,
with the house filled with wonderful smells,
and her mother cooking and baking food
from these very recipe cards.
Now she is surrounded by that love.
I wondered if she thought her mother would think she is crazy.
"No, I think she would be honored", was Bobi's response.
"I have never enjoyed a valance so much."
She thanked me for the idea,
but I really must defer the inspiration to Amy.
You can check her lovely blog here
and check out her story.
Bobi is one of those in our family that got the creative gene.
She painted this recipe box.
Look at those flowers.......
isn't it just charming?
A treasured box of keepsakes for sure.
I'm partying over at Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Night Special this weekend.






that is so sweet. what a wonderful idea. i have a few recipe cards of my grandmothers and when i see her writing and just smile.
ReplyDeleteTraci - You could add a few of your grandmothers in your new corner, baking nook. Great looking kitchen!
DeleteI'm a TX girl so happy to see the field of bluebonnets. They are gorgeous this year. I have a huge patch in my herb garden. Stop by my tartan post and you can meet Sadie, posing in the bluebonnets. ;-)
ReplyDeleteJust read your comment on Alison's blog. I hope you will join in the fun of the Tartan Parade. I just bet you'll find something. ;-)
Nice to meet you. I agree about having something in your mom's handwriting. What could be better than recipe cards. Wish I had some from my mom. I've no idea what happened to her recipes. I need to ask my nieces. ~ Sarah
Thanks for stopping by Sarah. Yes, my cousin says the blue bonnets are just gorgeous this year. Cute picture of Sadie. Will try to make the parade.
DeleteHi Sarah,
DeleteI'm Bobi...Connie's cousin. We are Texans too live in Galveston. If you ever head for the beach...look us up.
I love your valance and am so glad you used the idea. I agree about the faded handwriting and how beautiful it is. I love seeing my nanny's writing on these old recipes. Sweet memories.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing! Blessings, Amy
Amy - I didn't realize your post was over a year old until I did a search but it definitely left an impression on me. Thanks again for the inspiration!
DeleteI guess you're the one I need to thank also. I loved the idea and the way it looks. Simple yet classy.
DeleteOh this is the sweetest idea and looks so charming! My daughter has my mother-in-law's recipe box...it is a prized possession...
ReplyDeleteWho would have thought recipes would be that valuable. Prized possession indeed.
DeleteHi Lou,
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! Thank Bobi for me too...because this gave me an idea to do a similar thing with mine. I'll have to scrape the food off of them first because I am a messy, messy cook.
Thank you for your note at my place, it made me smile. We did have a pipeline and bulk tank and a pretty fancy, smancy barn. It was better than the house we lived in :) only it smell like cow (you know what) We built it A LONG way from the house :-)!!!
Hope you have a wonderful Easter week! I'm off to look at my recipe cards now!
sending hugs...
I can relate to fancy smancy........we had a new combine but yet the only way to keep our old refrigerator door closed was by bracing it with a stick. Not sure how long we lived with that issue but long enough that I certainly remember.......for some reason my brother's don't remember it at all. Not understanding it back then, I realize now a new combine was more important than a new refrigerator. Happy Easter to you as well!
DeleteHi Lou, what a fabulous idea. I have no family recipes but still wonderful. I am following you now. I simply adore your profile. hugs, olive
ReplyDeleteAwwww thanks. I'm not much of a cook but I'm very sentimental so hearing my cousin had a few of my mom's recipes touched my heart. You and I have a love for cats in common. Your Clovis is a cutie and looks like my sister-in-law's Buddy, who incidentally passed away this afternoon. As you can imagine, she and her husband are incredibly sad......they leave such huge paw prints on our hearts, but I know time will heal. Thanks for the follow :) !!
Delete